Twitter

13 November 2011

Whitby Nov 2011

Must try to keep my phone alive over Whitby next time so I don't have to do a full summary review at the end.

I caught most of the bands in the Spa on Friday night. Berlin Black were an brilliant start to the weekend & I watched the whole set with Arthur. I missed Cryogenica but caught the first half of Devilish Presley, who were excellent & well done to them for continuing after the mishap at the start. I didn't see The Mist of Avalon at all but the excitable bassist enthused me to buy the album on Saturday night. Finally Abney Park finished the night so I stuck around for most of their set, great showmanship from them as usual. Flittered around otherwise seeing everyone & checking on Tasha who had volunteered to help out with the coat check!

Checked out some of the stalls on Saturday afternoon but didn't even make it over to the Leisure Centre & I hear the Met was empty!

I was surprised by The Death Notes on Saturday night, having Irish band members being very good. I missed most of The Dark Shadows but I hear they jumped the gun coming on :) Rhombus were excellent & I had a chance to talk with Mya & Ed before & after their set, such friendly guys. Voltaire was absolutely fantastic as usual. We only saw him a few weeks ago in Dublin but his set was as fresh as ever, loved the skull face paint. Plenty of classics & some from the new album, consummate entertainer. Admittedly, Chameleons Vox were a change in tempo but still a magnificent end to the weekend. Their cover of Soul in Isolation was beautiful & their classics were well received too.

Sunday was a very slow starter but eventually myself & Arthur made it to the Little A & Nostalgia, great night with some unfamiliar tunes but will check out Martin's setlist for tracks.

Books for this year included Natasha Scharf's Worldwide Gothic. Yet to read it but chapters look good & photos are excellent, with some familiar WGW faces. While in York, I picked up Liisa Ladouceur's Encyclopedia Gothica, highly recommend it, some funny comments & covers many familiar & some unfamiliar topics. Finally in Liverpool, I picked up Taschen's De Lempicka hardback & the Tate's Alice in Wonderland catalog from their brilliant Alice exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment