Twitter

11 March 2009

Watchmen

Did it successfully make the transition from graphic novel to screen? I think so.

We went to see it last weekend & the only major change that surprised me was the climax.

Sure they had to leave bits out, such as the Tales of the Black Freighter sub-comic & the newspaper salesman/comic kid, that added depth to the graphic novel but these were elements that reinforced the main concepts not presented new ones.

The other difficulty in migrating the movie is that the Cold War doesn’t have as much impact as it did have when the graphic novel was first released, only 4 years before the Cold War ended. All the paranoia & contempt was still very much in the minds of everyone back then. We do have terrorist threats nowadays but (hopefully) they will not wipe out all life on Earth.

But all in all I enjoyed it & look forward to the DVD to get some background info by way of director’s commentary regarding the decision/development process.

2 comments:

  1. Put some pants on man

    Thats all well and good but I still think there was to much willy in it.

    P.s. I don't mean your future father in law, the other kind of willy ....... you know what I mean ...................... I'll get my coat now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasnt bad but i think they missed the point slightly or perhaps it was just lost in translation for me. The death of hollis mason should have been left in as it was although not huge, a turning point in the book that changed the tone.

    And yes..there was way too much willy in it... some things could have been lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete