Twitter

04 December 2009

Fixing My Notebook

I successfully replaced my broken LCD in my Studio 17 with a new one from Rolta. Their screen cost €200 versus Dell’s €400 and they had it out to me in 2 days, so well done to them.

This time things were a bit trickier reassembling the unit as I had to move a cable strip from the old LCD to the new one (I had disassembled the unit previously to get the part number). In fairness to Dell, they have the full instructions here but it was just a placement issue on my part. The cable strip had a padded section to protect the wires and I couldn’t press the screen bezel back together, so I moved it about and that sorted that.

Then there was not enough length to make the connection to the motherboard so I had to disassemble again and move the cable along more.

Finally got it all together and it successfully booted up, with screen, sound, keyboard, wireless, etc. all working.

My advice to people:

1) use a proper laptop bag with good padding, slip cases on larger laptops force pressure on the unit

2) if you have a slip case, carry with the bottom of the notebook in your palm

3) maybe get accidental damage insurance

4) don’t bother with Dell, try Rolta or LCDs 4 Less

6 comments:

  1. Have to agree Dell parts are a rip off. Have repaired a number of dell laptops and dell are always the most expensive parts by a long shot. Shop around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Unluckily, the screen on my laptop broke on Friday, but as its broken, its lucky for me you posted this up. Have ordered a new screen, and await its imminent delivery. Have a lovely weekend away and I will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took over a week for us to get the screen due to Rolta claiming the credit card company hadn't authorised the transaction, and the credit card company telling me they'd taken the money off my card and sent it to Rolta immediately when the order went through. So naturally I wasn't keen to have it taken off a second time, especially not to someone sarcastically telling me I'd probably hit my card limit! Eventually after 5 days Rolta miraculously found the money they'd had all along and sent the screen :) So now Ian is learning that the subwoofer in the joint, which I think is great, means taking the whole laptop apart to get the screen out. I counted 22 screws on the desk yesterday, while persuading him, it really was time to go to bed. Hopefully it will all be sorted tonight. The real fun will be trying to put it all back together :D
    Who needs a DS lite and Proffesor Layton game, when you can just try getting an acer screen out for mind bending puzzling?

    ReplyDelete