Twitter

22 May 2007

Home Server Success

Finally, some success with the Home Server.

A colleague in work had a spare SATA cable so that saved me the time & annoyance of switching it from my desktop. Yay!

Our housemate managed to burn the ISO successfully to DVD & it booted correctly. Yay again!

Then I had problems with the SATA driver. Boo.

I thought the one from ASUS did not support Server 2003 so I got one from Silicon Image but that wouldn't stick during the "Specify additional drivers" phase (kept re-requesting it). Went back to the original ASUS driver which would stick but I got a blue screen of death on reboot.

After trying this a few times with partitioning & formatting I realised that even though I specified the SATA driver during the Server 2003 GUI install, I had to specify it again during the blue non-GUI install after reboot. Once I specified it again, everything installed as usual.

Had a quick test to see if I could detect the server on the network which failed but I just realised this morning that the OS may not have the drivers for the ethernet ports & I didn't even bother to check last night. Got them & ready to try again this evening.

At least it's only network stuff now.

4 comments:

  1. I have a Silicon Image 3512, which works fine for me out of the box (though I did not configure it for RAID).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just about understand half of what you said there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You understood 50% more than me and I was there when he did it

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay.....although i know nuffink bout computers

    ReplyDelete