Twitter

18 May 2007

Home Server

My grand plans to set up a home server in the new house have gotten off to a lumpy start.

I ordered a 500GB SATA hard drive from Komplett which promptly arrived. Unfortunately, it had no leads whatsoever (fair enough, I suppose). One of the lads in work was able to pick me up a SATA power cable the same day so I figured all was good.

The reason I thought this was because I thought I had one in the house, but I didn't. I'll have to wait until we're over in Finglas to get one or buy one (wait methinks).

The biggest problem is the OS. I want to put Windows Home Server on it but I can't write it successfully to DVD. I tried numerous CD/DVD burning software but all failed & now I have 6 or so DVD coasters. The closest I got was extracting the files from the ISO & burning them to the DVD with Vista's own software but the DVD would not boot at startup.

Anyway, I'll figure it out. Only a few bits to fix.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John

    The secret here is to burn the DVD as slowly as your drive will go, in an app like Nero. The WinPE environment is susceptible to burning issues (Windows Vista beta was exactly the same).

    Best of luck!
    Terry (www.wegotserved.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete