Twitter

26 July 2006

Continued Geekiness

Did some overhauling on the network last night. Decided I wanted to go back to wireless where possible.

Started off by upgrading the router's firmware. The firmware only resolves some existing issues, no new features but best to keep things up to date.

I decided to follow some security advisories which I've read before. First I used a random SSID for the router name. This increases anonymity to outside users. I used this WEP key generator to create the SSID, basically it just has to be random characters so I used the 64-bit key generator.

Next up, I reactivated WEP security. I had it turned off for a while because the MAC filtering locks things down tighter but I wanted a visible security on the router. I have to choose WEP because some simpler devices only support it. For this I used the above WEP generator for a 128-bit key.

After that, it was a matter of setting up my desktop, notebook & PDA to access the network (MAC addresses already configured in router) & you're done.

2 comments:

  1. WEP is, essentially, useless. It and MAC filtering just stop the randoms, anyone else can sniff enough to break WEP and spoof an existing allowed MAC fairly trivially.

    If you actually want security then screw the simpler devices and use WPA2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have activated the WPA security.

    Axim doesn't support WPA2 though so went with just WPA.

    ReplyDelete