Twitter

25 July 2006

Virtual Fun

Showing my true geekiness, I've gone all retro with virtual PCs courtesy of Microsoft Virtual PC. No particular gain from a personal point of view, just a laugh.

I've set up virtual PCs for Windows Media Center Edition, Windows 98 SE & Windows 95 OSR2.

The trickiest one to get installed & updated was Windows 95.

First off I forgot the preparation involved for installation. I got a boot disk image from bootdisk.com which allowed me into DOS as the CD was not bootable. Then you have to prepare the partitions & format. Copied the WIN95 installation directory to the virtual hard drive as the CD support was lost after reboot. I realised this after a first run when it looks for files on the CD on initialisation.

The next problem was that Internet Explorer was so old (version 3.0), patches were tricky. IE 5.x is no longer available from Microsoft so I had to find it elsewhere on the net. Once that was upgraded, I could update a few bits on Windows Update.

Goes to show that the installation process has been simplified a lot over the years.

1 comment:

  1. God, and I thought I was a geek. You should get out more mate :P
    Though, having said that, I am getting Gabriel to bring me a vacuuming robot from the States... so pot/kettle/black I suppose.

    ReplyDelete