Twitter

15 August 2005

First DJ Adventure

Finally getting around to posting about my first DJ sojourn in Dominion. Despite initial nerves, I thoroughly enjoyed it & I hope my set was well received by strangers, friends & the resident DJs.


But talk about being thrown in at the deep end. nephster13 asked me to do a 45 min slot at 10 & another 45 min slot near the end of the night. Paul F was in charge for the night & Robin was guesting too. That was the plan anyway.

lady_bastet & I got there just at 10. I was worried nephster13 would be there tapping his watch with his index finger. Not the case, main door was still locked up, so we went down with the barman & sorted out the tables & candles. No problem there but when it came to the DJ equipment, we were all fingers & thumbs. Turns out someone had removed an extension lead which we eventually found & got things moving. Got a few heckles from people of "Where's the music?" :P

At just that time Paul arrived & we ironed out a few more things. Got moving with my set, mostly trad & industrial for the first slot, had a go at a few requests too. Despite the fact I only brought 6 CDs of burned music, I was able to play about 4 requests in the first slot. Threw in some Dark Metal eg. Lacuna Coil & Within Temptation & some new tracks from Ghost of Lemora & L'ame Immortelle (God bless Kaleidoscope).

Then another hiccup, Robin arrived with no CDs as he had been told last week he wasn't actually on. Cheeky nephster13! So I wound up keeping my first slot for about 1 & half hours. Again, glad I burned a good mix & length of music. After that Paul took over with a bit more trad & popular tracks. Then back to me for a bit of EBM & industrial & back to Paul to finish.

Only slipped up once pausing/stopping Running Up That Hill by Faith & The Muse mid-song. A few not so smooth fade ins but that's about it. Would like to get a look at the set list for the night to jog my memory on exactly what I played.


So smiles all round from me. Will start copying my CDs & printing up inserts for my CD wallet as I'd been keen to give it a go again.

4 comments:

  1. you were very good.. we did dance and everything..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're so kind

    Mercy buckets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!

    I remember my first DJing in Dominion - ah, I was so young then!

    I played "Blame Canada" and everyone laughed.

    I also played Linkin Park, and everyone DANCED.

    And people thought I would suck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you were like the proverbial duck taking to water, well done!
    twas a great night and the music was brill! again, again . . . .

    ReplyDelete